Final Resting Place of the Festetics Family
The History of the Mausoleum
The resting place of the Festetics family was for a long time the crypt of the Our Lady of Hungary Parish Church. Although the idea of building a family mausoleum had already arisen shortly after the death of György Festetics 1th, the family’s financial situation at the time unfortunately did not allow the construction of the mausoleum. The building was erected in 1925 in the Szent Miklós cemetery according to the plans of Gábor Groffits at the behest of Tasziló Festetics 2th. The mausoleum is a freestanding mausoleum with a crypt, its form following classical temple architecture. It stands on a stepped substructure and is a reinforced concrete structure with a tympanum and a hipped roof in a historicizing (neoclassical) style. A staircase leads to the crypt below the northern long side. Niches were created in the walls of the crypt, and the four Festetics family members rest opposite the entrance. The area around the mausoleum contains the graves of employees of the Festetics family. Mary Victoria Hamilton was the first of the Festetics family to be buried here, followed by Tasziló Festetics 2th , who died at the age of 83, on May 8, 1933. At the funeral of the prince, Miklós Horthy, the governor, and representatives of the government and upper house were present. On August 8, 1941, György III. Festetics was buried, but his wife, Maria Haugwitz, Countess of Vienna, died in Vienna on September 23, 1972. In her last will and testament, she wrote that she wanted to rest in Hungarian soil, and her ashes were brought here on October 13, 1990.
The Dedication of the Mausoleum in 2015
The renovation of the mausoleum was completed in 2015, and at the dedication ceremony, György Festetics 4th gave a speech, and his family also attended.
Accessibility and Parking
The 71 road leads directly to the end of the cemetery, from where you have to turn right to the main entrance. Those arriving by car can leave their vehicles in a larger parking lot next to the cemetery.
Opening Hours and Admission
The mausoleum can be viewed for free during the opening hours of the cemetery. It is open once a year on November 1st.